Golden Globe Nominations 2013 Announced

Technically, the ceremony takes place in 2013, and the films mentioned are of the 2012 collection. And, technically, I really hate that word--technically, that is. Anyway, from the moment I woke up this morning, I was exceedingly anxious to find a computer (with Internet connection) and analyze a certain list that marks the official beginning of awards season: the Golden Globe nominations. I must tell you, seeing those words--Golden Globe Awards--in bold blue on the homepage of the Internet Movie Database (simply known as IMDb, but I like to clarify) stirred up emotions of ridiculous joy and jubilation. (Yes, most definitely jubilation.) Onto the nominations. Much of what I expected was prevalent, garnering multiple nominations, and these predictions applied mainly to the Drama categories. Ben Affleck's atrociously dull Argo, Kathryn Bigelow's Osama bin Laden thriller-that-is-really-a-documentary Zero Dark Thirty, Steven Speilberg's latest Oscar gem Lincoln, and (thank gracious) Quentin Tarantino's masterpiece Django Unchained. (I still have not seen it--no one has--but I am so certain in my feverish excitement.) As for the Comedy/Musical categories, there was much I anticipated that earned nominations, such as Les Miserables and Silver Linings Playbook; however, some films were completely absurd in their lack of recognition, and therefore worthiness. There was one film--just one--that I highly anticipated to see among the nominees, and that hilarious work of ingenuity was Seth MacFarlane's "raunchy" Ted. Out of all the comedies I've watched that are of 2012, that was the absolute funniest one thus far. And no nomination? Not a single one? Utterly preposterous. So baffling, in fact, that already I am unenthused by the event. Enough of this huffing, let's get one with the nominations themselves. That is, if you're not as cheerless as I am.

Best Motion Picture - Drama
Argo
Django Unchained
Life of Pi
Lincoln
Zero Dark Thirty

Best Actor - Drama
Daniel Day-Lewis - Lincoln
Richard Gere - Arbitrage
John Hawkes - The Sessions
Joaquin Phoenix - The Master
Denzel Washington - Flight

Best Actress - Drama
Jessica Chastain - Zero Dark Thirty
Marion Cotillard - Rust & Bone
Helen Mirren - Hitchcock
Naomi Watts - The Impossible
Rachel Weisz - The Deep Blue Sea

I thought I should provide the Drama nominees first. As you can see, much of it is expected. Mundane, really. I just noticed, however, that Ben Affleck is not nominated for Best Actor. Aww. How unfortunate. Sarcasm is always intended whenever I make the suggestion that I admire Ben Affleck--as a director, actor, person, anything. (Though I must admit, he is probably a good dad. Seriously.) I am also pleased that Anthony Hopkins did not garner a nod for his portrayal of Alfred Hitchcock; I'm just tired of him as all, not to mention he does not resemble the Master of Suspense at all. The Actress category this year has me completely unfazed, meaning I have no care who wins. See Django up there? Lovely sight, yes?

Best Motion Picture - Comedy/Musical
The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
Les Miserables
Moonrise Kingdom
Salmon Fishing in Yemen
Silver Linings Playbook

Best Actor - Comedy/Musical
Jack Black - Bernie
Bradley Cooper - Silver Linings Playbook
Hugh Jackman - Les Miserables
Ewan McGregor - Salmon Fishing in Yemen
Bill Murray - Hyde Park on Hudson

Best Actress - Comedy/Musical
Emily Blunt - Salmon Fishing in Yemen
Judi Dench - The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
Jennifer Lawrence - The Silver Linings Playbook
Maggie Smith - Quartet
Meryl Streep - Hope Springs

Quite a few films that are unknown. And do not feign awareness by denying this, for many of the choices are completely out-of-nowhere. (No other word for it, really.) First and foremost, that Hotel one, which, from my knowledge, is a production made up of elderly British actors who were once well-received but are now, to be blunt, decrepit. Another geezer-picture, Quartet, which, I must admit, I have a tad more respect for on account of it starring Maggie Smith and it being directed by Dustin Hoffman. An interesting venture, though not one I would be interested in seeing. Salmon Fishing in Yemen, actually, appears to be a decent film: starring Ewan McGregor and the adorable Emily Blunt, the format of the comedy seems very enjoyable. I don't know how to describe it other than that I have a warm feeling towards it. If it were not for the dreadful title, I might see Oscar potential. You never really know what is to be anticipated from the bloody Academy, do you? To my delight, Meryl Streep managed to earn a nomination--for her as-always amazing performance in an It's Complicated-esque movie about the decay of marriage--in a year when she is not even the star. (Then again, every year she is a true gem of cinema. Cherish her.)
Then we have two performances, in the Best Actor category now, that could have effortlessly been replaced by Mark Wahlberg's phenomenal comedic turn in Ted. May I, again, mention how fantastic that movie was? There is no other way to explain the inane genius of it. It was just hilarious. Sure, it had Seth MacFarlane's familiar Family Guy humor, but, he did write and direct the film, didn't he? It's not as if he stole storylines from his shows, or any of the dialogue. He created an entirely new character--a nasty yet cuddly and sympathetic teddy bear--that happens to sound like another character of his. Regardless of any flaw Ted has (which, by my count, reads none at all), it was the highest-grossing comedy of the summer, as well as the funniest film I've seen thus far of the year. So: Which two Best Actor slots are expendable? Jack Black, in a strange-looking picture (weird is a better term) where the annoying man-child plays an undertaker who kills someone, then creates the illusion that she is still alive. Where do they find these movies? The second replaceable spot is undeservedly assumed by Bill Murray--who, to this day, I just do not like at all--where he embodies Franklin Delano Roosevelt (greatest president, in my opinion) during a time when he had an affair with his cousin, presumably. What's strange with this film is that it received horrid reviews. Oh well. All I can do is shake my head in disappointment--disdain towards the Hollywood Foreign Press Association for ignoring Seth MacFarlane and his indubitable brilliance in the comedy field. He's hosting the Academy Awards, you know.

Best Supporting Actor
Alan Arkin - Argo
Leonardo DiCaprio - Django Unchained
Philip Seymour Hoffman - The Master
Tommy Lee Jones - Lincoln
Christoph Waltz - Django Unchained

Best Supporting Actress
Amy Adams - The Master
Sally Field - Lincoln
Anne Hathaway - Les Miserables
Helen Hunt - The Sessions
Nicole Kidman - The Paperboy

Well, well, well. It appears as though Django Unchained has received, not one, but two, nominations for acting. Pardon my candor, but this is a minor event in the award-race, or whatever you call it, for it suggests the possibility for two actors under Quentin Tarantino's masterful direction to be considered for an Oscar. These nominees are the likely candidates for the Supporting categories at the Academy Awards, for, unlike the Lead Acting ones (separated into Drama and Comedy/Musical), there is only one here. Therefore, all the actors you see listed above as supporting will possibly be at the Oscars as well. Not so sure about Nicole Kidman, however, for I hear she urinated on Zac Efron in The Paperboy? That's a bit too "risque" for the Academy...then again, they did nominate Melissa McCarthy. Overall, concerning the Supporting nominees, I'm simply pleased to see Leonardo DiCaprio and Christoph Waltz in the running. Here's hoping! Exclamation point.

Directing and writing are just as significant as Best Motion Picture, yet they are really one in the same. Basically, the Drama candidates listed above have nominations in those two categories, also. Including Ben Affleck as Best Director, obviously. I cannot believe that he won. Yes, I can foresee what awaits on January 13 of next year. While I am terribly dismayed by the absence of Ted and Mark Wahlberg's very-funny performance, I am, generally, content with the round-up. Those that are almost-certain victors--excluding Ben Affleck--are neither here nor there for me. Truly, the only category I am anxious to hear announced is that of Best Supporting Actor. It's all downhill from here, ladies and gents. Let the games commence.


Remember this?
What a swell year it was.

The Golden Globes will air on NBC on January 13, 2013 at 8PM, with hosts Tina Fey and Amy Poehler. Hope to see you there. I will not actually be in attendance there.

Comments

  1. Yeay, for Django Unchained! I really wanted to see it before, well now I'm more excited than ever!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts